Monday, January 10, 2011

Wasabi Macaroni and Cheese ala George


My husband has NEVER cooked from a recipe. He called me at work and asked what I wanted for dinner, I obviously responded macaroni and cheese.  Expecting kraft, or better yet, a frozen macaroni and cheese, I was so surprised to come home to find every plate, spice, pan, and refrigerated condiment out on display on our kitchen counter. 

Clearly they were all necessary. 

Georgey-poo had actually found a recipe, not in the massive number of cook books I directed him to, but on the food network’s website.  

First, he prepared the ingredients for the cheese sauce.


Next, he added the noodles to the prepared cheesey goodness.
 

Now we are ready to brown the bread crumbs, or uh hum, the panko crumbs since hubby-hubs could not find the bread...


Almost ready to bake but first, more cheese.

Bake until golden and then voilà!

       
He made a delightfully bold, cheesy and tangy dish.  As it turns out, the recipe called for powdered mustard but since we did not have any, and a trip to the grocery store was clearly out of the question, Georgelicious substituted it for wasabi powder. Surprisingly, this gave it a nice edgy taste that blended well with the other flavors.  



After helping myself to seconds, ... and thirds, I admit that his mac and cheese rocked. Nice work sweet cheeks! 


3 comments:

  1. I was hesitant when I realized this was not a restaurant version, but rather George's improvisation, however it looks delicious! Go George!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hilarious. This made my night. Looks delicious. Good jobs Yorge, now we all know the real truth about your cooking skills.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes... I spent 7 years in the mountains of Southern Japan perfecting Wasabi Mac n Cheese!

    ReplyDelete