Friday, January 28, 2011

Not All Mac and Cheese is Ono







 Today we take a trip to paradise and try some Hawaiian mac and cheese!

I visited No ka Oi in Huntington Beach with some good friends. Like I do in every restaurant, I breezed past the salads and straight for any sign of mac and cheese. Bingo. Mac and cheese WITH crab. Ah, I certainly cannot refuse a well balanced meal, complete with protein. 

The presentation was nice. But, the flavor was, well, not fantastical.  I think our first clue should have been that the type of cheese used in this plate was not specified. Powdered perhaps?  Srichacha hot sauce definitely did this dish wonders.  Don't get me wrong, I ate it, all of it, but it won't make my top 5 list.


My delightful friend Goldie recalls that the "Creamy yellow with small chunks of real crab meat fell short of my expectation. This mac and cheese felt like it was made with imitation cheese. Had to add some spice to it to make it more flavorful. I give it 3 out of 5 stars."

No comments:

Post a Comment